What should I do to prolong the life of my Serta mattress?
- Using a mattress pad or protective cover will help avoid stains, which are not covered by the warranty.
- Rotate your mattress to promote even wear.
- Use a good quality bed frame (see warranty card for queen- and king-size diagrams).
- To eliminate bends in the border wiring that surrounds the mattress, avoid sitting or standing on the edge of your mattress or box spring. Warranty does not cover bent border wiring.
Will I get body impressions in my mattress? What can I do about them?
In today’s plusher mattresses, state-of-the-art foams and fibers conform to the shape of your body to relieve pressure points and provide a more restful night’s sleep. If you sleep in the same spot night after night, the fibers and foams will naturally conform to the shape of your body. You can reduce this by occasionally rotating your mattress from end-to-end or top-to-bottom.
What sizes do Serta mattresses come in?
- Single – 92 x 188cm (3′ x 6’2″)
- Long Single – 92 x 203cm (3′ x 6’8″)
- King single – 107 x 203cm (3’6″ x 6’8″)
- Double – 138 x 188cm (4’6″ x 6’2″)
- Queen – 153 x 203cm (5′ x 6’8″)
- King – 183 x 203cm (6′ x 6’8″)
- Super King – 204 x 203cm (6’8″ x 6’8″)
Why does my mattress sag?
Several factors can cause mattress sagging, including an improper bed frame, improper center support, a damaged or bent frame or a damaged/broken base. Using a proper bed frame with proper center support and taking proper care of your base will greatly reduce the chances of mattress sagging. Please refer to the Serta warranty brochure for further information.
What are the advantages of a single-sided mattress?
A single-sided mattress does not ever have to be flipped.
Rotating your mattress will redistribute the comfort layers, and this will maximize wear. All Serta mattresses distributed through our retail partners are single-sided.
Serta does manufacture two-sided mattresses for our hotel partners and some of the beds sold through our Guest Purchase program are two-sided. While two-sided mattresses allow for the option of flipping, the mattress does not have to be flipped and can also be rotated to redistribute comfort layers.
Does a mattress have to be firm to be supportive?
In today’s modern mattresses, the support comes from the innerspring. The comfort layers determine the surface “feel.”
Every Serta mattress features an advanced and durable innerspring system designed to deliver proper spinal support. That means you can choose the mattress that feels the best to you, and you will receive the support you need.
How much should I spend on a new Serta mattress?
Keep in mind, you spend one-third of your life in bed, so you should buy the best bed you can afford. At what amounts to pennies per night, it’s an important investment in your health and well-being.
Mattresses are so thick, what kind of sheets do I need?
Most major sheet manufacturers sell “deep drop” sheets that will fit today’s plusher mattresses.
How do I know when I need a new mattress?
If you’ve owned your mattress for more than 10 years, it’s time for a new mattress. Other signs that you might need a new mattress include:
- You wake up with aches and pains
- You sleep better on other beds (such as in a hotel)
- Your mattress shows visible signs of overuse (it sags, has lumps, the interior is exposed, etc.)
- You and your partner roll into each other on your current mattress
- Mattress edges aren’t supportive anymore
- Mattress and base make noise when you move around
- Your current mattress is more than 7-10 years old.
How long should a mattress last?
A mattress is designed to perform for the length of its warranty. However, you should compare your current mattress and foundation to newer models every few years, as bodies and sleep habits change.
Other circumstances may lead to a need for a new mattress, such as a child outgrowing his or her current sleep set or your desire to upgrade your mattress.
What's the difference between innerspring and foam mattresses?
The most widely purchased type of mattress. These mattresses feature tempered steel coils in a variety of configurations. Layers of upholstery provide insulation and cushioning between your body and the spring unit. Serta offers a variety of advanced and durable innerspring systems.
Foam core mattresses
Instead of coils, these mattresses use either latex or visco-elastic memory foam cores as the support system.
Does my sleep position matter when choosing a new mattress?
Yes, sleep position matters in terms of which pressure points are affected during sleep, as well as how the spine is supported. Because each individual sleeper is different, the only way to determine which mattress and comfort level works best for your sleep position is to test out the different mattresses in the store. It helps to talk to the salesperson about what options are available so they can make recommendations based on your personal needs.
Should I buy a firm or a soft mattress?
Comfort preference is very personal. When you shop for a mattress, you should lie down on firm, plush and pillow top models to determine what feels best for you.